KUALA LUMPUR: The ninth new car assessment program in the world, ASEAN NCAP, has just completed its 10 year anniversary. And to celebrate this milestone, ASEAN NCAP and the Malaysian Road Safety Research Institute (MIROS) hosted an event yesterday in Kajang, Malaysia.
KEY POINTS TO REMEMBER
Which automakers have won the ASEAN NCAP Decade of Safer of Vehicle Awards?
Honda wins Best Road Safety Partner award with excellent award for consistent 5-star rating for city and civic. Toyota won the Most 5 Star Car Label from 2012 to 2020 while Nissan Teana was recognized for Best Forward-Facing Child Occupant Protection and Best Adult Occupant Protection 2012-2016. of the best security assistance 2017 was won by Perodua Myvi.
For the past ten years, ASEAN NCAP has participated in the independent evaluation of the safety performance of new passenger cars released in the ASEAN market. Its main function is to improve vehicle safety standards and rating systems in the region.
So far, the agency has tested around 110 models and variants and released 137 ratings. To assess safety, he developed three roadmaps viz. 2012-2016, 2017-2020 and 2021-2025. The last covers four areas of assessment, including adult occupant protection, child occupant protection, safety assistance and motorcycle rider safety.
“The creation of ASEAN NCAP has had a significant impact on the safety aspects of vehicles in Malaysia, including the installation of at least two airbags in new vehicles, stability control, autonomous emergency braking. and, most importantly, the emphasis on Blind Spot Technology (BST) to detect the presence of motorcycles,[aswell>othertechnologiesthatshouldhelpreducecollisionsandroadaccidents”saidthesecretarygeneraldirectorduministereedransDatukRazalibinMohamadeministryRoadtinesthero-razalibinMohamadeministry”saidcoadinesto-razalibinMohamadeministry”saidhoadinestrado-razalibinMohamadeministry”datukRazalibinMohamadeministry”saidcoadinsto-deldelp-delp[ainsique>d’autrestechnologiesquidevraientaideràréduirelescollisionsetlesaccidentssurlaroute»adéclarélesecrétairegénéraldudirecteurduministèredesTransportsDatukRazalibinMohamad[alongwith>othertechnologiesthatareexpectedtohelpinreducingcollisionsandcrashesontheroad”saidtheministryoftransportdirectorsecretary-generalDatukRazalibinMohamad
During the event, ASEAN NCAP also announced the Decade of Safer Vehicles awards to commemorate the achievements of automakers in vehicle safety. The winners are –
- Best Adult Occupant Protection 2012-2016 – Nissan Teana
- Better protection for adult occupants 2017 to 2020 – Toyota C-HR
- Best Safety Assistance 2017 – Perodua Myvi
- Best Security Assistance 2018 – Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid
- Best Safety Assistance 2019 – Toyota Granvia / Majesty / Hiace Super Grandia
- Best Safety Assistance 2020 – Isuzu mu-X
- Best Front-Facing Child Protection 2012-2016 – Nissan Teana
- Better protection of forward-facing child occupants 2017 to 2020 – Honda accord
- Security Technology Award – Honda Civic – AEB for motorcycle
- Excellent price for a consistent 5-star rating: Honda city
- Excellent reward for consistent 5-star rating: Honda Civic
- Most 5 Star Cars from 2012 to 2016 – Honda
- Most 5 Star Cars from 2012 to 2016 – Nissan
- Most 5 Star Cars 2017-2020 – Toyota
- Most 5 Star Cars from 2012 to 2020 – Toyota
- Best Road Safety Partner – Honda
The agency also recognized the efforts of organizations and individuals –
- Excellent Award – Organization – JAMA (Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association)
- Excellence Award – Organization – Global NCAP
- Excellent Award – Individual – Ahmed Ismail Haji Amin (Treasurer of the MKJR Road Safety Council)
- Excellent Award -Individual – Datuk Suret Singh (MIROS President)
“The Decade of Safer Vehicles award is our way of giving credit where it’s due and also offers recognition to manufacturers who have consistently adhered to our protocol to ensure their vehicles achieve 5-star ratings. My wish is that the award serves as a catalyst to encourage other manufacturers to continuously research and improve their respective vehicles by placing safety at the forefront in the development of cars, ”said MIROS Managing Director and General Secretary and President Acting ASEAN NCAP, Prof. Ir. Ts. Dr Khairil Anwar Abu Kassim.
Read also : BMW iX achieves perfect 5-star rating in Euro NCAP crash tests