RIVERVIEW, Fla. – This is one of the busiest areas in Hillsborough County, but the traffic couldn’t keep up. This is where I-75 meets Big Bend Road in Riverview.
The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) is hosting an open house on Tuesday to let residents know about the construction project taking place there.
The $81.7 million project is expected to help reduce traffic congestion.
Improvements to this design-build project include:
- added new I-75 entrance ramp northbound from Big Bend Road westbound
- added new southbound I-75 exit ramp at westbound Big Bend Road
- increase the storage area at the base of the I-75 north exit ramp by adding a left-turn lane on westbound Big Bend Road
- extension of I-75 off-ramp lane southbound on approach to Big Bend Road and addition of two right-turn lanes westbound from Big Bend Road
- added signal-controlled triple right-turn lane from southbound I-75 off-ramp to eastbound Big Bend Road
- added double left turn movements reported from westbound Big Bend Road to southbound I-75 and from eastbound Big Bend Road to northbound I-75
- widening of Big Bend Road between Covington Garden Drive and Simmons Loop from a 4-lane to 6-lane split road with improved facilities for pedestrians, bicycles and buses
- reconstruction of the Old Big Bend Road and Big Bend Road bridges
“We are adding a lot of sidewalks. There have been areas where there are no connecting sidewalks, we will connect sidewalks and wide sidewalks, especially for students there. There are two schools there East Bay High School and Eisenhower. There’s a YMCA there, a hospital, just a lot of apartments,” FDOT spokesperson Kris Carson told ABC Action News.
The Open House will be held in two formats, as described below. The material presented to both will be the same.
Date: June 7, 2022
Time: In person from 4:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Location: In Person – South Bay Church
Street address: In Person – 13498 US-301 S. Riverview, FL 33578
There will be no formal presentation; drop by at your convenience to view project information and chat with project staff.
Virtual/online visit: Tuesday, June 7, 2022
Live chat with project staff between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.
You can participate virtually by visiting the project website and by clicking on the link Open day on construction.
The virtual tour will remain online after the meeting date.
For more information on this construction project, contact Melissa Chin, PE FDOT Construction Project Manager, at 813-975-3573, or email: Melissa.Chin@dot.state.fl.us
Construction is expected to be completed in the summer of 2025.